Re: how to connect through firewall

From: Dave Page <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: "'Kapila K Jayasinghe'" <jmk(at)myrealbox(dot)com>, "'pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org'" <pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: how to connect through firewall
Date: 2002-02-01 20:24:31
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

-----Original Message-----
From: Kapila K Jayasinghe [mailto:jmk(at)myrealbox(dot)com]
Sent: 01 February 2002 09:17
To: pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: [pgadmin-hackers] how to connect through firewall

Hi guys,
First of all thanx for the great tool. The problem I'm facing is how to
connect to my server when I'm behind a firewall. I tried to open a TCP
socket for port 5432. That doesn't' work because I don't have a way to tell
pgadminII that I'm pointing to a firewall proxy.
Thanx in advance. Help on this will be greatly appreciated.
Kapila.

Hi Kapila,

I'm not sure I understand what you're wanting to do. If you firewall is
transparent, then you should just be able to connect as normal. If you are
using some form of port forwarding, then I guess you would point pgAdmin at
the listening port on your firewall, which will forward the data to the
PostgreSQL server. This would require that the port forwarding (i.e.
PostgreSQL server/port) be configured on the firewall, not in pgAdmin.

Regards, Dave