Re: beginner problem connecting to database

From: Dave Page <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: 'James Dean' <jfdean(at)ihug(dot)com(dot)au>, pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: beginner problem connecting to database
Date: 2002-03-04 22:42:28
Lists: pgadmin-support

Hi,

pgAdmin allows you to browse/use an entire PostgreSQL server. In order to
examine that server, a connection is first made to the Master Database (99%
of the time, template1 should be fine for this) which is used to retrieve a
a list of the other databases.

Once you have connected, you can either create a new database (try a right
click over the treeview or listview) or double click the Databases icon on
the treeview to list the existing databases on the server. pgAdmin 1.2.0 and
earlier will open a connection to all databases at this point and you can
just browse through them and the objects within them using the treeview (the
current development code only opens connections when you actually select a
database). If you wish to enter an SQL query by hand, look at the 'Current
Database' in the status bar - when you open the SQL Window, it will used
with the current database at the time it was opened.

HTH, Regards, Dave.