Re: [ODBC] Multibyte ODBC

From: Dave Page <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: "'jm(dot)poure(at)freesurf(dot)fr'" <jm(dot)poure(at)freesurf(dot)fr>
Cc: 'Hiroshi Inoue' <Inoue(at)tpf(dot)co(dot)jp>, pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [ODBC] Multibyte ODBC
Date: 2002-02-28 08:59:11
Lists: pgadmin-hackers pgsql-odbc

No, the data is identical to that in the linked table. Which is also
identical to what I see in IE if I take the <meta http-equiv="content-type"
content="text/html;charset=utf-8"> out of the html file, but then it would
be I suppose.

> Did you write you could also display the glyphs when
> copying/pasting into a table?

Yes, and that's what I think is important. If I copy and paste the Japanese
glyphs from an HTML document displayed in IE6, into an native Access table,
it works perfectly which is why I am not convinced Access or Windows is at
fault here.

> - If AccessXP can display the data from its tables and not
> from ODBC, it may
> be because some "header" information are needed in the ODBC
> stream (example :
> invisible characters at the beginning of file).
>
> This idea comes to me because in HTML, you need to tell the
> browser to switch
> to UTF-8 display (in header information), otherwize IE5 is
> not smart enought
> to understand the ASCII characters are plain UTF-8. Maybe
> AccessXP is like
> IE5... But I may be wrong...

Hmm, I may be *way* of the mark with this one but (from the Microsoft ODBC
Programmers Reference):

----
A Unicode driver must export SQLConnectW in order to be recognized as a
Unicode driver by the Driver Manager.

A Unicode driver must accept Unicode functions (with a suffix of W) and
store Unicode data. It can also accept ANSI functions, but is not required
to. (The Driver Manager does not pass an ANSI function call with the A
suffix to the driver, but converts it to an ANSI function call without the
suffix and then passes it to the driver.)
----

The psqlODBC driver doesn't export *any* W functions in it's .def.

So, could this be the problem? Access XP wants Unicode, but the driver is
only providing it with UTF-8 encoded data (ie, multibyte data encoded into
ASCII)?

Regards, Dave.