Re: pgAdmin & .NET

From: Dave Page <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: "'David Joyner'" <d4ljoyn(at)yahoo(dot)com>
Cc: "'pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org'" <pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pgAdmin & .NET
Date: 2002-01-06 19:42:14
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

Hi Dave,

Please feel free to attempt to port pgAdmin to vb.NET, as long as you agree
to the licence. I'm planning to do it myself as soon as Visual Studio .NET
lands on my desk (ie. When it's released), but using ODBC of course. Using
your new provider sounds interesting as well, removing the ODBC dependency
in favour of libpq++ has to be a good thing (not that the ODBC driver isn't
any good of course, just that libpq++ is more tighly integrated with
PostgreSQL).

Most of the real database stuff is handled in pgServer.cls and
pgDatabase.cls in the pgSchema code. There should be surprising little to do
to slot in a replacement provider as most things use methods in these
classes to execute queries. You may need to look for any code that uses
recordsets though - there's plenty of those in there :-(

In pgAdmin itself, iirc the only database code is in frmSQLInput.frm &
frmSQLOutput.frm. All the Plugins would need significant work I expect.

Anyway, good luck, I'd be interested in hearing how you get on. If you have
any questions about the code, please feel free to email them to the
pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org list (I've CC'd this to there for info).

Regards, Dave.