Re: Logging in with postgres remotely

From: "Tena Sakai" <tsakai(at)gallo(dot)ucsf(dot)edu>
To: "Newbie Poster" <newbie(dot)poster(at)yahoo(dot)com>, "PGSQL Admin" <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Logging in with postgres remotely
Date: 2009-03-31 00:43:32
Lists: pgsql-admin

Hi,

Let me see if I understand your situation.

a) you have a postgresql running on a host --let's for
the sake of concreteness, call this machine apple.
b) you want to connect via pgAdmin3 which runs on
a workstation, call this workstation orange.
c) when you supply a password to pgAdmin3, the postgresql
on machine apple rejects you.

If any of this is wrong, let me know.

d) on machine apple, do you have .pgpass file? If so,
is the permission on this file correct?
e) to pgAdmin3, what password are you giving? Apple's
or Orange's?

Regards,

Tena Sakai
tsakai(at)gallo(dot)ucsf(dot)edu