Re: psql and tab-delimited output

From: Alban Hertroys <haramrae(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Abelard Hoffman <abelardhoffman(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: psql and tab-delimited output
Date: 2014-09-07 11:18:37
Lists: pgsql-general

On 07 Sep 2014, at 10:45, Abelard Hoffman <abelardhoffman(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> For reports, everyone else mostly uses other tools? I'd like to stay away from GUI-tools, if possible.

For reporting, usually you use the data in the database directly.

A TSV or CSV file is not a report, it’s at best a data source for your report. Going through an intermediate format is not a particularly effective approach to create reports, but if you have to (for example because you aren’t _allowed_ access to the database), generally preferred formats seem to be CSV, XML or JSON; as long as it’s a standard format.
TSV is not a common choice. Are you sure your boss actually cares that it’s TSV and not, for example, CSV?

Alban Hertroys