Re: [HACKERS] Clock with Adaptive Replacement

From: Andrey Borodin <x4mmm(at)yandex-team(dot)ru>
To: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
Cc: Юрий Соколов <funny(dot)falcon(at)gmail(dot)com>, Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Konstantin Knizhnik <k(dot)knizhnik(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>, Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Clock with Adaptive Replacement
Date: 2018-04-25 06:31:12
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> 24 апр. 2018 г., в 23:14, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de> написал(а):
>
> On 2018-04-24 17:16:47 +0500, Andrey Borodin wrote:
>> But, I think that cost of development of real page eviction strategy
>> itself is neglectable small compared to infrastructure changes needed
>> by any non-CS5 strategy.
>
> What problems are you seeing? This isn't a lot of code?
1. Teaching BgWriter to used data from eviction strategy to aggressively flush data to disk (instead of ++next_to_clean )
2. Implementing strategies as lock-free algorithms for freelist
These parts seem most important for benchmarking.
Also:
3. Converting all rings to single buffer manager where possible
4. Using O_DIRECT while writing data files
5. Using aio and scheduling of writes
These parts are not necessary, but most challenging, while not impossible though.

Best regards, Andrey Borodin.