Fields being renamed in internal select statements...

From: Benjamin Scherrey <scherrey(at)proteus-tech(dot)com>
To: pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Fields being renamed in internal select statements...
Date: 2002-11-12 12:35:05
Lists: pgsql-odbc

I'm working on a project that converts an existing Access97 database to Postgres via ODBC.
Unfortunately the Access db was not well designed and has field names with spaces in it. When I
link to a table and bring it up in a table view it lists the field names correctly - however - I get an
ODBC error and reviewing SQL.LOG reveals that it renames some of the fields in a very odd
manner in the internal SQL request. For example: "Cancer Ctr Patient" is accessed as "Cancer
'#S_C_H#' Patient" and "Direct Admit" is accessed as '#S_C_H#' Admit" (without a prefixed "
char) which results in a parse error. This strange insertion/replacment of '#S_C_H#' for part of a
field name has got me very confused. Have you ever seen this occur or know what I can do to fix
it? This only happens internally in the ODBC and is never displayed anywhere. Appreciate any
advice you can give me.

thanx & later,

Ben Scherrey