Re: Extensions Documentation

From: "David E(dot) Wheeler" <david(at)justatheory(dot)com>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>, Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Extensions Documentation
Date: 2012-10-30 21:23:12
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Oct 30, 2012, at 2:08 PM, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net> wrote:

>> True, which is why I was thinking of something relatively light-weight
>> and self-contained like sundown.
>
> That's a markdown library, which transforms markdown to HTML, right? So
> what would we do with the HTML?

Put it into the HTML directory (share/docs/html/extensions/$extension.html) and inject its name into the TOC.

I'd also be in favor of adding hooks to generate man pages.

> I don't agree with this approach. There is no need to be prescriptive.
> Enforcing a documentation format won't make better, or any,
> documentation anyway.

My point isn't to be prescriptive, but that actual code tends to win out in the end, as opposed to discussion. (Which, yes, I have started.)

> That said, if there are things we could put in, e.g., pgxs, to make
> building documentation simpler, we can discuss that.

Yeah, that would be ideal. But if no one has really thought about how to go about it yet…

David