HELP: Urgent, Vacuum problem

From: "Schwenker, Stephen" <SSchwenker(at)thestar(dot)ca>
To: <pgsql-general(at)PostgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: HELP: Urgent, Vacuum problem
Date: 2006-12-04 15:56:17
Lists: pgsql-general

Hello,

I'm having a major Vacuuming problem. I used to do a full vacuum every
morning on my postgres database to clean up empty space on a table but
because of it's size, the locking of the database causes my application
server to max out the database connections and causes database errors.
To fix that problem, I have turned off the full vacuum and are just
doing a standard analyze vacuum. No I'm getting very close to running
out of space on my disks because the table keeps on growing and the
database is not re-using deleted record space. I know this because I
delete 99% of the records from the table after I have exported them but
the size of the database tables are not decreasing. Now I can't shrink
the size of the tables because the full vacuum takes too long to run
Over 2 hours and locks the table for too long.

Can anyone help me with fixing my problem with vacuuming and disk space?

I'm using version 7.4.2 on solaris.

Thank you,

Steve.