Re: Moving from Transact SQL to PL/pgsql

From: John DeSoi <desoi(at)pgedit(dot)com>
To: Duffy House <kevin07(at)optonline(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Moving from Transact SQL to PL/pgsql
Date: 2005-01-25 21:06:29
Lists: pgsql-sql

On Jan 23, 2005, at 10:22 PM, Duffy House wrote:

> The first issue will be getting up to speed on PL/pgsql. Where can I
> find
> primer on PL/pgsql, with lots of examples? How silimar is PL/pgsql to
> PL/SQL
> under Oracle?

The PostgreSQL documentation is the place to start:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.0/interactive/plpgsql.html

The PostgreSQL distribution has a file with some examples in it:

src/test/regress/sql/plpgsql.sql

The pgEdit distribution (http://pgedit.com/download) has a fairly
extensive plpgsql example for importing and analyzing web server logs.

I'm not familiar with Oracle, but there is a porting section in the
documentation:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.0/interactive/plpgsql-porting.html

John DeSoi, Ph.D.
http://pgedit.com/