Inheritance - Multiple membership

From: Jimmie Fulton <JFulton(at)ehso(dot)emory(dot)edu>
To: "'pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org'" <pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Inheritance - Multiple membership
Date: 2001-06-12 21:15:13
Lists: pgsql-sql

This question was asked in 1998 on this list by someone else, but did not
appear to be answered...

Say I have a tbl_person. tbl_teacher and tbl_student both inherit from
tbl_person and each have their own extended attributes. Is it possible for
a person in tbl_person to be both a teacher at the school, and also a
student (say night school or something). Also, the student may be a
part-time employee, like a graduate student. If it is possible, what would
an insert look like. Given the possibility that someone can exist in both
tbl_teacher and tbl_student, what happens if you delete their student
record. I'm guessing that it should leave the other records in tact.

Any ideas?