Stored procedures vs Functions

From: "SHELTON,MICHAEL (Non-HP-Boise,ex1)" <michael_shelton(at)non(dot)hp(dot)com>
To: "'Tom Lane'" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Stored procedures vs Functions
Date: 2001-12-21 20:27:30
Lists: pgsql-general

Tom,

I've switched topics so I started a new thread, but your last comment about
7.2 made me think of a lingering question I've had. I've seen posts about
stored procedures and functions not being able to return result sets, etc.

In my last job I did e-commerce on a win2k platform with SQL 7.0. We used
stored procedures extensively and found them to be very advantageous
(especially on the occasions we need to return 2 different result sets from
2 different queries within the stored proc). My question then: are there
stored procedures that execute like SQL 7.0 stored procs and if so are they
functions and if so do I need to use a specific language or syntax?

Thanks,

Mike Shelton