Re: running two servers on one machine

From: Eric Smith <eric_h_smith(at)mac(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Adrian Klaver <aklaver(at)comcast(dot)net>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: running two servers on one machine
Date: 2009-03-31 02:53:42
Lists: pgsql-general

Ahhh! Can't seem to make this go away!

Here is the log file entry:

FATAL: could not create shared memory segment: Cannot allocate memory
DETAIL: Failed system call was shmget(key=5432001, size=4030464,
03600).
HINT: This error usually means that PostgreSQL's request for a shared
memory segment exceeded available memory or swap space. To reduce the
request size (currently 4030464 bytes), reduce PostgreSQL's
shared_buffers parameter (currently 300) and/or its max_connections
parameter (currently 23).
The PostgreSQL documentation contains more information about shared
memory configuration.

Following the queue on the postgres web page, I created /etc/
sysctl.conf and added the following five entries:

kern.sysv.shmmax=4194304
kern.sysv.shmmin=1
kern.sysv.shmmni=32
kern.sysv.shmseg=8
kern.sysv.shmall=1024

But when I try to start two servers, I get the same error. Should I
be bumping these numbers up?

Eric