Re: Usability improvment ideas

From: Bernhard Neuhauser <bneuhauser(at)real(dot)com>
To: "pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Usability improvment ideas
Date: 2011-03-19 21:00:37
Lists: pgadmin-support

Hi again,

>This "view" of a query is too limited.

Actually, this "view" of a query is more powerful as you expect.
Because it also allows you to execute pl/xSQL snippets in the same way.

Basically it allows the "user" to decide if he wants one query or a group of queries executed together.

This is one of the reasons why some oracle people tend to avoid empty lines inside db packages.
If you use an empty -- comment it feels like an empty line but still allows you to execute the whole block using a shortcut.

Think about 3 simple queries you need to invoke frequently because you are testing something and need them to reset something.
You wrap them inside begin + end and voila its executed as single "block".

So most probably my short description is misleading: "run current query"
Maybe it is better to call it "run current statement block"

I just tried http://www.squirrelsql.org/ with pg. It seems to have the behavior I described.
So maybe you can use this tool to play little bit with the possibilities of such an implementation.

---

The reason why I proposed this 3 things was, because I think they are real "quick-wins".
They have potential to improve usability without the need of investing to much valuable dev time.

And even if you think that the quickest implementation is not the perfect thing.
Keep in mind, that a more complex implementation might be lots of additional work without a proof of becoming better.

I honestly ask you to give the "simple" thing a chance.
There is still the possibility to improve it in future.

Regards,
Bernhard