Usability improvment ideas

From: Bernhard Neuhauser <bneuhauser(at)real(dot)com>
To: "pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Usability improvment ideas
Date: 2011-03-14 22:06:47
Lists: pgadmin-support

Hi pgadmin team,

I am not sure if this mailing list is suitable for giving feedback on pgadmin,
so please redirect me to a better place if necessary.

Pgadmin itself seems to be a really nice tool,
but I think that there is potential to improve its usability with minor development effort.

1] a "run current query" shortcut
2] an "abort query" shortcut
3] improved shortcut for comment/uncomment multiple lines

1] a "run current query" shortcut

Whenever you have more than one query within the query editor,
it is necessary to select the query in order to execute it.
It would be better if it's possible to do the same without requiring an initial query selection.

My proposal would be to add ctrl+F5 as shortcut, which runs the query surrounding the current cursor position.
ctrl+F7 would do the same for an explain plan.

It would not break the current behavior because the old way would still exist.
This is most probably easy to implement.

Don't think about a fancy algorithm to find the proper query surrounding the cursor.
Implement it the simplest available way: an empty line above or below is the border to identify the query.

If a line contains only whitespaces (tab, space,...) its qualified to limit the query scope.
An comment-only line should not be treated as query border.
(Complex queries might have full line comments within the query.)

Rationale:
It allows a user to constantly spam "run query" or "explain query" without moving his hands from the keyboard.

I must admit, that it's hard to see the value without the ability to get a feeling for it.
I am not aware of a decent postgresql query tool caring about this issue.

Optional:
The ability to configure the shortcut, because to be honest I like toads ctrl+enter more than the idea of ctrl+F5.
You might think that this makes no difference,
but for hitting ctrl+F5 I need to move my arm,
while the other one is reachable with minimal effort (at least at my german keyboard layout)
The same applies to ctrl+e vs. ctrl+F7.

2] an "abort query" shortcut

How about using the escape key to abort the currently running query?

3] improved shortcut for comment/uncomment multiple lines

This is a controversial topic, because to be honest I'm not sure if my proposal is a good one.
The only thing I know is that your current mechanic feels awkward.

I think what I mostly dislike is:
The comment of the first line does not appear at the beginning of the first line.
It is always added to the start of the selection.

Currently I use comment/uncomment only within eclipse and toad.
Toad is like pgadmin, but it adds the first comment at the start of the first line.

But in the end it would be even nicer if it's even smarter as it is within eclipse.
It allows using both actions with only one shortcut.

If all lines start with -- => uncomment them. (ignore whitespaces in front of --)
If one line within the selection does not start with -- => add a comment to all of them.

This behavior might sound little bit odd,
but after using both behaviors regular,
I would always prefer the smarter eclipse way.

Regards,
Bernhard

Sorry for not trying to implement it on my own.
But after 10 years of avoiding c, I doubt that the resulting code would be helpful.