Re: Bigtime scaling of Postgresql (cluster and stuff I suppose)

From: Vivek Khera <vivek(at)khera(dot)org>
To: Postgres General <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Bigtime scaling of Postgresql (cluster and stuff I suppose)
Date: 2007-08-27 14:49:46
Lists: pgsql-general

On Aug 25, 2007, at 8:12 AM, Phoenix Kiula wrote:

> The sentence that caught my attention is "Nokia, Alcatel and Nortel
> are all building real-time network nodes on top of MySQL Cluster."
>
> My experiences with MySQL so far have been less than exhilerating
> (only tried it for our web stuff, which is not much so far but
> increasingly rapidly) but I have seen a lot of talk about MySQL
> clusters.
>
> Is there something similar in the PG world? PG Clusters?

MySQL Cluster is a specific product. It is not just mysql databases
lumped together to make a big mysql DB. It is a memory-based
database that requires at least 2 machines to run, and is not
usefully redundant and distributed until you have many machines. The
telco's use it for their logging and switching infrastructure where
you need 100% uptime and wicked fast response (thus memory based.)
And you'll note it was developed by Ericsson...

There is no equivalent in Postgres.

There are several replication choices for Postgres. Google will find
them for you, or just look on the postgres.org pages for the list.
We use slony1 and it works very well for our need.