PANIC: could not create file "pg_xlog/xlogtemp.7884": No space left on device

From: "Roopeshakumar Narayansa Shalgar (rshalgar)" <rshalgar(at)cisco(dot)com>
To: "pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org>, "pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: PANIC: could not create file "pg_xlog/xlogtemp.7884": No space left on device
Date: 2014-09-25 10:44:42
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi,

I am using version 9.3.1 and see the "no space device error" even though there is enough space (99% free) on my disk.

Error: PANIC: could not create file "pg_xlog/xlogtemp.7884": No space left on device

I want to know whether this is a bug and if yes whether fix or workaround is available.
I am using the default configuration mentioned in the postgresql.conf file.

bash-3.2# du -h
4.0K ./pg_stat
6.2M ./base/12026
198M ./base/16384