Re: Question about the need to specify column column definition list for functions returning "record"

From: "Brandon Aiken" <BAiken(at)winemantech(dot)com>
To: <psql-novice(at)netzach(dot)co(dot)il>, <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Question about the need to specify column column definition list for functions returning "record"
Date: 2007-01-17 00:13:08
Lists: pgsql-novice

psql-novice(at)netzach(dot)co(dot)il wrote:

> Imagine a database-within-a-database implementation like this:

That is essentially how PG is already written, except they've removed
the need for us programmers to use SQL through the virtualization
layers. Or rather, the SQL is the base implementation and there are
then system catalogs and system view which allow access to system
metadata. All you're really doing here is forcing users to go through
layers of metadata. Why is this better than creating actual relations
(tables)?

All you're doing is piling metadata on top of metadata. Unless the
objects you're interested in are databases themselves, this serves
little purpose. A database of databases ultimately breaks first normal
form, since by definition you're entering discrete elements into a
single field.

You want a generic record-returning function? Here: SELECT

> My question is this - if Postgres is so smart, and knows what the
correct
> record type should be in RETURN NEXT, so that it can give me this
error,
> then why does it insist on me telling it explicitly what to expect ?

Not sure if I'm reading you right here, but I believe you told it what
to expect when you said:
"CREATE FUNCTION vtable(text) RETURNS record"

--
Brandon Aiken
CS/IT Systems Engineer