Re: PostgreSQL on system with root as only user

From: "Brandon Aiken" <BAiken(at)winemantech(dot)com>
To: "AgentM" <agentm(at)themactionfaction(dot)com>, <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL on system with root as only user
Date: 2006-08-30 17:58:58
Lists: pgsql-general

I haven't got any numbers (or a USB stick I can test with at the moment)
but USB is going to be a bottleneck for read and write performance.
Unless you're accessing very small amounts of data or running small
queries, I would expect performance to be pretty poor.

If your data set is so small, why do you need a full RDBMS instead of
flat data/text files or SQLite? If you're not concerned about disk
media failure, why do you need a transactional DB? It seems like
putting a deadbolt on a screen door.

It might work just great for your device, of course, but I would not
expect it to scale well at all.

--
Brandon Aiken
CS/IT Systems Engineer