Re: Extended Query, flush or sync ?

From: Raimon Fernandez <coder(at)montx(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: John DeSoi <desoi(at)pgedit(dot)com>, pgsql-general List <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Extended Query, flush or sync ?
Date: 2009-12-23 09:24:42
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-interfaces

On 22/12/2009, at 18:15, Tom Lane wrote:

> Raimon Fernandez <coder(at)montx(dot)com> writes:
>> But the portal isn't destroyed after a sync ?
>
> Not directly by a Sync, no.
>
>> I'm getting a "Portal 'myPortal' doesn't exist "when sending the next Execute ...
>
> End of transaction would destroy portals --- are you holding a
> transaction open for this? It's basically just like a cursor.

OK, after re-reading your email and the docs again and again, I see that portals must be inside a transaction, now it's working ...

Here are my steps:

- parse the Selects
- start transaction
- bind using a prepared statement name and a portal name
- execute x n
- close transaction

is this the correct way ?

And in the case I limit the execute, how I can get the pending rows ?

I'm using a CURSOR with the portal just created, and it works perfectly.

Using a new execute, I'm getting again the previous rows plus the new ones, and with the CURSOR, only the pending rows ...

Is this the correct way ?

And, where I can get more info about when it's better to use an extended query, a portal, a cursor, a simple query, ... ?

thanks!

regards,

raimon