Re: Add docs stub for recovery.conf

From: Daniel Gustafsson <daniel(at)yesql(dot)se>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: Craig Ringer <craig(dot)ringer(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Add docs stub for recovery.conf
Date: 2020-11-11 20:07:39
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> On 11 Nov 2020, at 21:01, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us> wrote:
>
> On Wed, Nov 11, 2020 at 08:59:40PM +0100, Daniel Gustafsson wrote:

>>> I don't see the logic in carrying doc stuff that we don't have anymore.
>>
>> Well, we do have that already in <tip>'s sprinkled across the docs where it
>> makes sense to help transitioning users, like this one in func.sgml:
>>
>> "Prior to PostgreSQL 12, it was possible to skip arbitrary text in the
>> input string using non-letter or non-digit characters..."
>>
>> It doesn't seem like a terrible idea to do a similar one for recovery.conf.
>
> I am fine with a tip. The patch looked like it was creating a new
> chapter for it.

I admittedly hadn't looked at the patch, but now that I have I agree with not
adding a separate "obsolete" topic for it. I'd prefer to use tips within the
docs, they will also help guide users who search for recovery.conf and lands in
the tip which is next to the relevant updated documentation on the topic.

cheers ./daniel