Re: Proposal: http2 wire format

From: Damir Simunic <damir(dot)simunic(at)wa-research(dot)ch>
To: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Vladimir Sitnikov <sitnikov(dot)vladimir(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Proposal: http2 wire format
Date: 2018-03-26 20:44:09
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi Andres,

> At least I do *NOT* want many protocols in core. We've a hard enough
> time to keep up with integrating patches and maintenance to not just
> willy nilly integrate multiple new features with unclear lifetimes.

Admire your effort in applying all these patches—this commitfest thing looks frenetic now that I’m subscribed to the mailing list. Can only guess the effort required on the part of a few of you to study and triage everything. Respect.

Actually, I don’t advocate multiple protocols in core. But the exercise of considering one will help generalize the architecture enough to make all protocols pluggable.

The most interesting part for me is working out content negotiation—I think being able to package data in new ways will be super-interesting.

> *NONE* of the interesting problems are solved by HTTP2. You *still*
> need a full blown protocol ontop of it. So no, this doesn't change that.

If you had to nominate only one of those problems, which one would you consider the most interesting?

Thanks for chiming in, really appreciate your time,
Damir