Re: Email issues unanswered

From: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: Andrew Sullivan <ajs(at)crankycanuck(dot)ca>, PostgreSQL www <pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Email issues unanswered
Date: 2007-01-30 02:06:46
Lists: pgsql-www

Even while discussing this, I sent an emamil off to one of the Mj2 developers,
and apparently they did make some changes from the past thread, that I didn't
know of ... seems that Alvarro talked to them, but nobody let *me* know to
upgrade our Mj2 :(

Working on that now ... we'll see if that fixes it ... will post a follow up
once its been upgraded ...

- --On Monday, January 29, 2007 18:36:55 -0500 Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
wrote:

> Marc G. Fournier wrote:
>>

>> - --On Monday, January 29, 2007 18:11:38 -0500 Bruce Momjian
>> <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us> wrote:
>>
>> > My long subject email going out looks like:
>> >
>> > From bruce Fri Jan 26 21:00:37 2007
>> > Subject: Re: [GENERAL] Predicted lifespan of different PostgreSQL
>> > branches
>>
>> Looks like something has add a carriage return at the end of PostgreSQL,
>> which breaks the RFC ... if it was all one line (as per the RFC quote that
>> Andrew
>
> Yes, my emaler does that, but see below on the RFC issue.
>
>> sent), it wouldn't have gone through (as per the valid long Subject that I
>> just sent to you) ...
>>
>> You are talking about 'multi line' (against RFCs) vs 'long subjects that
>> wrap' (not against RFCs) ...
>
> Right, I am talking about multi-line, and here is the RFC part Andrew
> mentioned:
>
> 2.2.3. Long Header Fields
>
> Each header field is logically a single line of characters comprising
> the field name, the colon, and the field body. For convenience
> however, and to deal with the 998/78 character limitations per line,
> the field body portion of a header field can be split into a multiple
> line representation; this is called "folding". The general rule is
>
> that wherever this standard allows for folding white space (not
> simply WSP characters), a CRLF may be inserted before any WSP. For
> example, the header field:
>
> Subject: This is a test
>
> can be represented as:
>
> Subject: This
> is a test
>
> Note: Though structured field bodies are defined in such a way that
> folding can take place between many of the lexical tokens (and even
> within some of the lexical tokens), folding SHOULD be limited to
> placing the CRLF at higher-level syntactic breaks. For instance, if
> a field body is defined as comma-separated values, it is recommended
> that folding occur after the comma separating the structured items in
> preference to other places where the field could be folded, even if
> it is allowed elsewhere.
>
> The process of moving from this folded multiple-line representation
> of a header field to its single line representation is called
> "unfolding". Unfolding is accomplished by simply removing any CRLF
> that is immediately followed by WSP. Each header field should be
> treated in its unfolded form for further syntactic and semantic
> evaluation.
>
> It seems clear here that my emailer is fine and following the RFC.
>
> --
> Bruce Momjian bruce(at)momjian(dot)us
>
> + If your life is a hard drive, Christ can be your backup. +

- ----
Email . scrappy(at)hub(dot)org MSN . scrappy(at)hub(dot)org
Yahoo . yscrappy Skype: hub.org ICQ . 7615664