Re: proposal: possibility to read dumped table's name from file

From: Daniel Gustafsson <daniel(at)yesql(dot)se>
To: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: vignesh C <vignesh21(at)gmail(dot)com>, Justin Pryzby <pryzby(at)telsasoft(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: proposal: possibility to read dumped table's name from file
Date: 2020-07-13 10:04:09
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> On 13 Jul 2020, at 10:20, Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> attached updated patch

Sorry for jumping in late, but thinking about this extension to pg_dump:
doesn't it make more sense to use an existing file format like JSON for this,
given that virtually all devops/cd/etc tooling know about JSON already?

Considering its application and the problem space, I'd expect users to generate
this file rather than handcraft it with 10 rows of content, and standard file
formats help there. Creative users could even use the database itself to
easily manage its content and generate the file (which isn't limited to JSON of
course, but it would be easier). Also, we now have backup manifests in JSON
which IMO sets a bit of a precedent, even though thats a separate thing.

At the very least it seems limiting to not include a file format version
identifier since we'd otherwise risk running into backwards compat issues
should we want to expand on this in the future.

cheers ./daniel