Re: Logical decoding restart problems

From: Stas Kelvich <s(dot)kelvich(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>
To: Craig Ringer <craig(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Petr Jelinek <petr(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, konstantin knizhnik <k(dot)knizhnik(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>
Subject: Re: Logical decoding restart problems
Date: 2016-08-31 08:29:58
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> On 31 Aug 2016, at 03:28, Craig Ringer <craig(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> wrote:
>
> On 25 Aug. 2016 20:03, "Stas Kelvich" <s(dot)kelvich(at)postgrespro(dot)ru> wrote:
> >
> > Thanks for clarification about how restart_lsn is working.
> >
> > Digging slightly deeper into this topic revealed that problem was in two phase decoding, not it logical decoding itself.
>
> Good to know. The behavior didn't make much sense for logical decoding but bugs usually don't.
>
> Do you plan to submit a patch for logical decoding of prepared transactions to 10.0?

I do, probably on CF2. There is issue with locks that Andres pointed me to; also twophase.c was written before logical
decoding happened and it deserves some refactoring to avoid duplicated functionality between 2pc decoding and restoring of
old prepared xact — I want to include that in patch too.

--
Stas Kelvich
Russian Postgres Company