Re: Gborg and pgfoundry

From: "Larry Rosenman" <lrosenman(at)pervasive(dot)com>
To: "David Fetter" <david(at)fetter(dot)org>, "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: "Bruce Momjian" <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, "PostgreSQL-development" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Gborg and pgfoundry
Date: 2006-05-25 17:21:56
Lists: pgsql-hackers

David Fetter wrote:
> On Thu, May 25, 2006 at 10:11:13AM -0700, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
>> Bruce Momjian wrote:

>>> I will move my projects manually, and until we set a date, there is
>>> no motivation for anyone to move their own projects. Someone doing
>>> this migration is not working (for years), so let's just do it
>>> dirty.
>>
>> I have to agree with Bruce here. Sometimes you just have to cut off
>> a limb.
>
> It would be a great service to the community if people could
> document--maybe in some kind of wiki or something--just how they did
> each piece. We could also put stuff on the front of gborg, mail every
> project lead, etc., etc. In other words, a concerted effort here
> would have non-trivial overhead, but also non-trivial pay-off :)
>
> Let's start with the first thing: What features map on gborg map to
> which features on pgfoundry?

I've offered to help with this, but things are so poorly documented that
I have to guess where things are, and I'm not one that's used either
site.

I do have a bunch of sysadmin knowledge, and script writing ability, but
knowledge of how each is set up, is resident in a very small minority of
the
folks that help run things.

I have Pervasive's blessing to spend paid time working on "community"
projects,
and this could be one of them, but every time I try to get more
information about
how things on BOTH gborg and pgfoundry are set up, it takes days, and
lots of the
people have no idea how it is set up.

I truly *WANT* to help here, but getting the information is tough.

Larry Rosenman

--
Larry Rosenman
Database Support Engineer

PERVASIVE SOFTWARE. INC.
12365B RIATA TRACE PKWY
3015
AUSTIN TX 78727-6531

Tel: 512.231.6173
Fax: 512.231.6597
Email: Larry(dot)Rosenman(at)pervasive(dot)com
Web: www.pervasive.com