Re: Logging pg_autovacuum

From: "Larry Rosenman" <lrosenman(at)pervasive(dot)com>
To: "Robert Treat" <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>, <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: "Larry Rosenman" <lrosenman(at)pervasive(dot)com>, "Simon Riggs" <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, "Bruce Momjian" <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, "Matthew T(dot) O'Connor" <matthew(at)zeut(dot)net>
Subject: Re: Logging pg_autovacuum
Date: 2006-04-28 20:12:04
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Robert Treat wrote:
> On Friday 28 April 2006 12:09, Larry Rosenman wrote:
>> Larry Rosenman wrote:

>>> That probably works, but I'm not sure about the one to add the
>>> VERBOSE to the VACUUM commands autovacuum.c emits.
>>
>> does the following options satisfy everyone:
>>
>> autovacuum_messages=
>> none silent (nothing output at LOG level)
>> database we'd output a LOG message processing database <name>
>> table we'd output a LOG message for each table we actually vacuum
>> / analyze verbose we'd add the verbose flag to each command
>>
>> the lower levels would include the upper (I.E. verbose implies table
>> + database).
>>
>> If this is acceptable, I'm going to start working on the code to
>> implement it.
>>

> This would certainly be an improvement, but in the intrest of full
> discussion, I want to toss out a couple of ideas (they are only
> partially thought out, but I think could be useful)
>
> The first is to add a column(s) to pg_class to hold last
> vaccum/analyze time for each table. The upsides would be that this
> puts the information in a readily accessable place that can be viewed
> from third party tools and queried against for easier management
> along with accomplishing what the current logging is giving you.
I'm not so sure I have the catalog skill fu to do this, but am willing
do it, with some hand holding. breaking pg_class is not my idea of fun
:)

> The second is to add a "verbosity level" to pg_autovacuum for each
> table, to allow admins to configure specific tables for a more
> verbose logging. This way if you have a perticular table that needs
> additional logging, this could allow you to have only its vacuums
> emmitied at whichever log level seemed appropriate.
I was thinking about this as well, but wanted to see if others wanted
it.

LER

--
Larry Rosenman
Database Support Engineer

PERVASIVE SOFTWARE. INC.
12365B RIATA TRACE PKWY
3015
AUSTIN TX 78727-6531

Tel: 512.231.6173
Fax: 512.231.6597
Email: Larry(dot)Rosenman(at)pervasive(dot)com
Web: www.pervasive.com