Re: Autovacuum Logging

From: "Larry Rosenman" <lrosenman(at)pervasive(dot)com>
To: "Robert Treat" <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>, <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: "Bruce Momjian" <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, "Matthew T(dot) O'Connor" <matthew(at)zeut(dot)net>, "Will Reese" <wreese(at)rackspace(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Autovacuum Logging
Date: 2006-04-28 19:33:27
Lists: pgsql-general

Robert Treat wrote:
> On Thursday 27 April 2006 11:59, Bruce Momjian wrote:
>> Well, one problem now is that everytime pg_autovacuum opens a
>> database, a message is placed in the logs:
>>
>> LOG: autovacuum: processing database "test"
>> LOG: autovacuum: processing database "test"
>> LOG: autovacuum: processing database "test"
>> LOG: autovacuum: processing database "test"
>>
>> This is certainly not desirable. I changed the message to DEBUG1 for
>> 8.2 with the attached patch.
>
> IMHO this is less optimal, since the default installation will
> provide no way for users to verify that autovacuum is running.
> Currently we can direct them to look in thier log output, this way we
> would have to tell them to crank up logging to DEBUG1 and then look,
> which will of course contain a whole lot of other chatter at that
> level.
>
> The best solution I have seen so far is the idea of a GUC to control
> autovacuums chatter level. I hope we get that becuase the above will
> be a regression imho.

I've put a basic proposal out to -hackers, and have the time and
inclination
to do it.

Comments requested, please.

LER

--
Larry Rosenman
Database Support Engineer

PERVASIVE SOFTWARE. INC.
12365B RIATA TRACE PKWY
3015
AUSTIN TX 78727-6531

Tel: 512.231.6173
Fax: 512.231.6597
Email: Larry(dot)Rosenman(at)pervasive(dot)com
Web: www.pervasive.com