Re: upper and UTF-8

From: "Benjamin Krajmalnik" <kraj(at)servoyant(dot)com>
To: "Scott Marlowe" <scott(dot)marlowe(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: upper and UTF-8
Date: 2010-07-26 21:47:13
Lists: pgsql-admin

Unfortunately, the database has to accept data in multiple languages, since it is a SaaS offering.
It is not a big deal - I just found it interesting that it did not uppercase the accented letters.
The reason I came across it is that I created a table of all the ISO countries. I had found a NySQL script which created it, and it had the fields in both upper case and mixed case. Since our platform is multi-lingual, we expanded the table to add the language code and started adding the translation. After I finished the translation, I figured for consistency I would upper case the one field into the other, and this is where I saw the inconsistency.
Operationally, it does not affect me in any way - but I found it strange that it did not handle the accented characters.
For now we are keeping the column to facilitate the translation to other languages - ultimately it will be dropped.