Change in behavior of string concat operator

From: "Benjamin Krajmalnik" <kraj(at)illumen(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Change in behavior of string concat operator
Date: 2008-12-06 18:04:27
Lists: pgsql-admin

I just migrated from 8.1 to 8.3, running on FreeBSD 7.0 amd64.
Running 8.3.5

I have a query concatenating 3 columns to create a hash.
userid is a numeric(38,0) field, accountno is an integer, and
requestdate is a date.

Under 8.1, Select userid || accountno || requestdate::date as newcolumn
from table executed ok.
Under 8.3, it gives the following error:

operator does not exist: numeric || integer

Typecasting the first two columns to varchar resolved the problem.

Select userid::varchar || accountno::varchar || requestdate::date as
newcolumn from table
At the very least, the documentation should be updated to reflect the
new behavior, although I believe this is a bug.