Re: [pgadmin-support] Motivations for PostgreSQL

From: "Benjamin Krajmalnik" <kraj(at)illumen(dot)com>
To: "Aaron Bono" <postgresql(at)aranya(dot)com>, "Ezequias Rodrigues da Rocha" <ezequias76(at)yahoo(dot)com(dot)br>, "Postgres" <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [pgadmin-support] Motivations for PostgreSQL
Date: 2007-04-10 23:42:02
Lists: pgsql-admin

Aaron,

Would case studies work?
I suggest you mention the Netezza data warehousing appliance - on their
site they have comparisons against other systems which will be
impressive.
Although annecdotal, in my case I had an application running on SQL
Server. It could not keep up with the data throughput due to the nature
of the application.
It was running on state of the art hardware, ubt it just could not
handle such a high OLTP load.
Moved to PostgreSQL, I am running 4x the transaction level as before,
and the database does not even feel it.
Additionally, the richness of data structures and features of PostgreSQL
allowed us to vastly improve the speed at which the presentation layer
can render the data.

The following link has some good PDF's which might help you make your
case:

http://www.netezza.com/products/prodlit.cfm

Granted, you are not selling them a Netezza appliance, but the Netezza
appliance is based on PostgreSQL. If it is good enough for those types
of solutions, it probably is so for yours as well :)