Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Automatic view update rules Bernd Helmle

From: Bernd Helmle <mailings(at)oopsware(dot)de>
To: Jaime Casanova <jcasanov(at)systemguards(dot)com(dot)ec>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Bernd Helmle <mailings(at)oopsware(dot)de>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Automatic view update rules Bernd Helmle
Date: 2009-01-23 23:53:10
Lists: pgsql-committers pgsql-hackers

--On 23. Januar 2009 18:07:38 -0500 Jaime Casanova
<jcasanov(at)systemguards(dot)com(dot)ec> wrote:

> and what about default values? if we redirect we will have to use the
> table's default (something i like) and AFAIU we won't have the ability
> to change it for the view at least not without manually create a new
> DO INSTEAD rule (something i don't like)...
>
> i'm missing something? or can we implement such "REDIRECT" with the
> ability to respect view's own defaults?

It's too late for me to think technically about it, but you're right,
something to keep this behavior would be nice. I don't know wether the
standard has a notion about such behavior, too (have to look at it).

Note that a possible solution obviously has to allow the old behavior, so
in the first place this behavior can be easily restored.

Bernd