Can you set the date output format (to_char style) per session?

From: Joshua Johnston <johnston(dot)joshua(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Can you set the date output format (to_char style) per session?
Date: 2010-03-04 19:18:07
Lists: pgsql-general

Hello list!

I am working through some i18n/l10n issues in a new application and one of our possible solutions for handling date formatting is to have the dates formatted by pgsql per session. I know I Can use DateStyle to adjust date output, but I am looking for something that works like SET DateStyle but with finer control like to_char(format, timestamp).

Is there such thing?

Thanks,

Josh