Re: Why will vacuum not end?

From: "Shea,Dan [CIS]" <Dan(dot)Shea(at)ec(dot)gc(dot)ca>
To: 'Josh Berkus' <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Why will vacuum not end?
Date: 2004-04-24 14:45:40
Lists: pgsql-performance

Josh, how long should a vacuum take on a 87 GB table with a 39 GB index?

I do not think that the verbose option of vacuum is verbose enough.
The vacuum keeps redoing the index, but there is no indication as to why it
is doing this.

I see alot of activity with transaction logs being recycled (15 to 30 every
3 to 20 minutes).
Is the vacuum causing this?