numbering rows on import from file

From: Alexy Khrabrov <deliverable(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: sql pgsql <pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: numbering rows on import from file
Date: 2008-05-02 21:26:34
Lists: pgsql-sql

Greetings -- I have a huge table of the form
(integer,integer,smallint,date). Its origin is an ASCII file which I
load with \copy. Now I want to number the rows, adding an id column
as an autoincrement from a sequence. How should I do the import now
for the sequence to work -- should I add the id column last, so it
will not be filled by copy and presumably autoincrement?

Or, once the table is already in, can I add a column and force it to
be filled with consecutive numbers, effectively numbering the rows?

Cheers,
Alexy