Change request - log line prefix

From: Evan Rempel <erempel(at)uvic(dot)ca>
To: "pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Change request - log line prefix
Date: 2012-05-31 04:05:23
Lists: pgsql-admin pgsql-general

I am part of a team that fills an operational roll administering 1000+ servers and
100's of applications. Of course we need to "read" all of our logs, and must use computers to
help us. In filtering postgreSQL logs there is one thing that makes life difficult for us admins.

Nice things about the postgreSQL logs

- user definable prefix
- each log line after the prefix contains a log line status such as;
ERROR:
FATAL:
LOG:
NOTICE:
WARNING:
STATEMENT:

- the configurable compile time option to set the wrap column for the log lines.

Now for the bad things

Even when the wrap column is set to a very large value (32k) STATEMENT lines still wrap according to the line breaks in
the original SQL statement.

Wrapped line no longer have the prefix - difficult to grep the log for everything pertaining to a particular database or user

Wrapped lines no longer have the log line status - difficult to auto-ignore all NOTICE status log lines when they wrap, or
ignore all user STATEMENT lines because they almost always wrap.

In conclusion, I would like to see a logging change that included the prefix on EVERY line, and included the STATUS on every line.

Comments?

If everyone :-) is in agreement can the authors just "get it done"?

Thanks for your time.

Evan Rempel
Systems administrator
University of Victoria.