RE: [HACKERS] First mega-patch...

From: "Jackson, DeJuan" <djackson(at)cpsgroup(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: RE: [HACKERS] First mega-patch...
Date: 1998-03-17 18:25:23
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Right, and they should be redirected as appropriate, *to* the
> appropriate list...

That systems seems to be working well. But, the fact that we don't yell
at someone for posting a question to the hackers list or a bug/fix to
the questions list, but gently redirect the discussion from that list to
the appropriate one, while letting the original list listen in for
possible new information, promotes participation.

(Start favorite inspirational music here --) Maybe I think of the future
too much, but I think that it's good for other's to not feel excluded.
There are walls and there are boundaries. (-- Musical climax --)
Boundaries guide, while walls separate. (-- music fades)

Well, like Tom needs people to help with the docs, which I plan on doing
if 'I ever get the time (read as "If there is an act of God to change
days to 29 hours instead of 24")'. Otherwise, the only people you'd
ever get on the hackers list are crazy coders with little or no social
life, like me, who like clear watch cases so they can see all the moving
parts.

> I'd prefer to never have to shoot the horse myself...waste of a
> fine animal :)

Well now they have all these techniques so that the leg can be set and
the horse can live a fairly normal life afterwards, but that's a whole
other topic.

> Seriously, at least in my case, I run procmail to filter my
> mail...I tend to read everything that goes to hackers, while skim
> through
> the other lists as appropriate...I'm subscribed to *all* the lists,
> which
> makes for several hundred messages per day...I like to automate the
> sorting as much as possible...

I understand, the desire to sort your mail as well as the need to
redirect the questions. But I don't see the harm in letting a standard
user go googlie-eyed over the technical prowess and dedication of the
Postgres Developers.

Just my $0.02,
-DEJ (who now has $0.00)