Re: secure ODBC connection

From: "Mister ics" <mister_ics(at)hotmail(dot)com>
To: cedarc(at)visionforisrael(dot)com
Subject: Re: secure ODBC connection
Date: 2001-09-13 22:37:26
Lists: pgsql-odbc

Hi Cedar,

Thank you for answering.
I know CIPE: it's a very good program, but the problem is that actually it
works only on win2000 platform. I have many customers using win98 boxes as
clients, and they don't want to make micro$oft more rich upgrading a lot of
licenses to win2000 .
Althoug i understand that to write a tunnelling layer protocol we need to
work at packet-protocol level, and maybe it is difficult, and/or dangerous
to do this on win95-98 o.s': Anyway, waiting for the IPSEC standard, i hope
that there is a solution for this problem: ODBC postgres SQL driver, sends
clear text passwords and data on lan segment, and in some cases it can be
very dangerous (sniffing a-go-go).

Best Regards,
Silvio

>I don't consider it off topic at all. Depending on your situation, you
>may want to use some other sort of tunnel (I'm using CIPE). For example,
>we have a few offices around the world. I have set up a linux server at
>each location to do basic server stuff (mainly internet sharing). The
>servers create a VPN over the internet, which for us is good enough. Of
>course, this assumes a "safe" environment in the office (eg, not packet
>sniffers). All that is needed is a linux box at each end (or possibly
>even win2000) and CIPE. If you're interested, go google for 'cipe'.
>
>-Cedar

Scarica GRATUITAMENTE MSN Explorer all'indirizzo
http://explorer.msn.it/intl.asp