what is with this #deleted thing?

From: "Rony Khoury" <rkrk(at)hotmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: what is with this #deleted thing?
Date: 2001-05-16 16:03:26
Lists: pgsql-odbc

Hello,

I do not know what is it with this deleted thing ?!?

After downloading the latest postgresql (postgresql 7.1) and the latest odbc
driver on two totaly newly installed machines. I narrowed down the problem
to the following:

1- created a table as follows:
create table try (try_id serial, try_text char(20));

2- linked the database from access 97.

3- made the oid of access as primary index in access.

4- opend the table in datasheet view.

4- started inserting data in table try in the field try_text

5- every thing worked fine until I try to insert to fields in try_text with
the same content as one before it.

example you can insert a, aa, aaa, aaaa, aaaaa, etc ... in try_text without
any problem, then if you try to insert a field that was inserted before
again (example aa) you get the deleted thing.

6- if I close the datasheet view and open it again, the deleted goes away
and the record appear as normal.

7- if you update a field to become similar to one already inserted the
problem does not occur. It only occurs when you insert a new record.

example I already have a, aa, aaa, aaaa, etc ... in the field try_text if I
change aaaa to aa it does not make a problem.

I think I figured things out on earlier versions, I do not know why this
occured again.

I give up I've spent my whole day trying to figure out any further then that
but to no use.

Any one can help?

regards,
Rony.