Re: Mac OS 10.3 Panther make questions

From: Kevin Barnard <kbarnard_lists(at)sbcglobal(dot)net>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Mac OS 10.3 Panther make questions
Date: 2004-02-19 05:39:09
Lists: pgsql-admin

On Feb 16, 2004, at 8:27 PM, Tom Lane wrote:

> Jeremy Buchmann <jeremy(at)wellsgaming(dot)com> writes:
>> ... Readline is available, and this may be the way to go if you
>> can't get readline to compile on its own.
>
> There isn't anything difficult about installing readline from source
> on Panther. Untar, configure, make, sudo make install.
>
> Alternatively you can just configure postgres --without-readline.
> psql is a lot less pleasant to use without it, but if you don't
> use psql much you may not care.
>
> regards, tom lane

One would think this to be the case. I keep getting the following link
error

warning -dylib_install_name /usr/local/lib/libreadline.4.3.dylib not
found in segment address table LD_SEG_ADDR_TABLE
/sw/var/lib/fink/prebound/seg_addr_table

This is really a readline issue not a postgres issue. I will be using
psql quite often thus readline is very key to my sanity. :-)
I was able to compile the fink version so for now I'll just use that
and of course postgres configure is happy with it.

It just doesn't make sense that Apple would take the time to build bash
and not bother to include the readline library. I wonder if they've
modified readline a little and therefore use a static version. I guess
I could go look at the source in Darwin and see. Even with all of this
trouble I still think OS X beats a cygwined Windows for a client
machine.

Thanks again everyone for your help.