Re: User privileges in web database applications

From: John DeSoi <desoi(at)pgedit(dot)com>
To: Antonis Christofides <anthony(at)itia(dot)ntua(dot)gr>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: User privileges in web database applications
Date: 2006-06-29 14:19:34
Lists: pgsql-general

On Jun 29, 2006, at 3:37 AM, Antonis Christofides wrote:

> The benefit of this solution is that
> I avoid reconnecting to the database on each request, having instead a
> persistent connection as user "postgres".

But it is also a resource liability. How do you know if the user will
make another request or when they are "finished" using your site? You
can certainly time out the connection but for a busy site you will
potentially be holding open a large number of connections that will
never be used again.

I agree with your reasons for wanting to do this, but it may not be
feasible for a busy web site.

John DeSoi, Ph.D.
http://pgedit.com/
Power Tools for PostgreSQL