Re: Too-many-files errors on OS X

From: Andrew Rawnsley <ronz(at)ravensfield(dot)com>
To: Hackers Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Too-many-files errors on OS X
Date: 2004-02-23 13:12:31
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Slackware 8.1:
ronz(at)steelhead:~/src$ ./eatallfds libm.so libtcl.so libjpeg.so
dup() failed: Too many open files
Was able to use 1021 file descriptors
dup() failed: Too many open files
Was able to use 1021 file descriptors after opening 3 shared libs

On OpenBSD 3.1:
grayling# ./eatallfds libcrypto.so.10.0 libkrb5.so.13.0
libncurses.so.9.0
dup() failed: Too many open files
Was able to use 125 file descriptors
dup() failed: Too many open files
Was able to use 125 file descriptors after opening 3 shared libs

On Feb 22, 2004, at 10:41 PM, Tom Lane wrote:

> Kevin Brown <kevin(at)sysexperts(dot)com> writes:
>> Tom Lane wrote:
>>> Hmm. This may be OS-specific. The shlibs certainly show up in the
>>> output of lsof in every variant I've checked, but do they count
>>> against
>>> your open-file limit?
>
>> It seems not, for both shared libraries that are linked in at startup
>> time by the dynamic linker and shared libraries that are explicitly
>> opened via dlopen().
>
> It would certainly make life a lot easier if we could assume that
> dlopen
> doesn't reduce your open-files limit.
>
>> Attached is the test program I used.
>
> Can folks please try this on other platforms?
>
> regards, tom lane

> TIP 8: explain analyze is your friend

Andrew Rawnsley
President
The Ravensfield Digital Resource Group, Ltd.
(740) 587-0114
www.ravensfield.com