Re: [JDBC] How to just "link" to some data feed

From: "Stephen Denne" <Stephen(dot)Denne(at)datamail(dot)co(dot)nz>
To: "Scott Marlowe" <scott(dot)marlowe(at)gmail(dot)com>, "Albretch Mueller" <lbrtchx(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>, "Oliver Jowett" <oliver(at)opencloud(dot)com>
Subject: Re: [JDBC] How to just "link" to some data feed
Date: 2008-06-04 04:32:33
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-jdbc

Scott Marlowe wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 3, 2008 at 9:58 PM, Albretch Mueller
> <lbrtchx(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> > On Tue, Jun 3, 2008 at 11:03 PM, Oliver Jowett
> <oliver(at)opencloud(dot)com> wrote:
> >> That's essentially the same as the COPY you quoted in your
> original email,
> >> isn't it? So.. what exactly is it you want to do that COPY
> doesn't do?
> > ~
> > well, actually, not exactly; based on:
> > ~
> > http://postgresql.com.cn/docs/8.3/static/sql-copy.html
> > ~
> > COPY <table_name> [FROM|TO] <data_feed> <OPTIONS>
> > ~
> > import/export the data into/out of PG, so you will be essentially
> > duplicating the data and having to synch it. This is
> exactly what I am
> > trying to avoid, I would like for PG to handle the data
> right from the
> > data feed
>
> I think what you're looking for is the equivalent to oracles external
> tables which invoke sqlldr every time you access them in the
> background. No such animal in the pg universe that I know of.

There was a similar discussion of this on -hackers in April. Closest to this idea was
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2008-04/msg00250.php

Regards,
Stephen Denne.
--
At the Datamail Group we value teamwork, respect, achievement, client focus, and courage.
This email with any attachments is confidential and may be subject to legal privilege.

The Datamail Group, through our GoGreen programme, is committed to environmental sustainability.
Help us in our efforts by not printing this email.
This email has been scanned by the DMZGlobal Business Quality
Electronic Messaging Suite.
Please see http://www.dmzglobal.com/dmzmessaging.htm for details.