1.6RC2 explain analyze rollback bug

From: "Stephen Denne" <Stephen(dot)Denne(at)datamail(dot)co(dot)nz>
To: <pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: 1.6RC2 explain analyze rollback bug
Date: 2006-11-10 01:52:10
Lists: pgadmin-support

Using downloaded pgAdmin III 1.6RC2 on windows xp sp2, connecting to a local 8.1.4 PostgreSQL database, I had a query in an SQL window which I was able to run, or explain, but when I used the Query Explain Options menu to turned on analyze, and hit F7, I received an error.

I've managed to find a simple reproducible example…

Open a new Query tool, paste the following as a single line, including the end of line comment, but with no trailing line break:

SELECT * from pg_stat_activity WHERE datname = 'postgres' --

This can be run or explained, but not explain & analyzed. The following error is given:

ERROR: syntax error at or near "ROLLBACK"
SQL state: 42601
Character: 87

If a line break is added at the end, or the end of line comment is removed, or a semi colon is placed at the end of the statement, then explain analyze works as expected. Line breaks can be placed anywhere else without affecting the behaviour, but the behaviour is seen if there is no line break after --

Stephen Denne.

Disclaimer:
At the Datamail Group we value team commitment, respect, achievement, customer focus, and courage. This email with any attachments is confidential and may be subject to legal privilege. If it is not intended for you please advise by reply immediately, destroy it and do not copy, disclose or use it in any way.

This email has been scanned by the DMZGlobal Business Quality
Electronic Messaging Suite.
Please see http://www.dmzglobal.com/services/bqem.htm for details.