Is PostgreSQL as an NT Service the next level?

From: "Robby Slaughter" <webmaster(at)robbyslaughter(dot)com>
Cc: "Pgsql-Cygwin" <pgsql-cygwin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Is PostgreSQL as an NT Service the next level?
Date: 2001-08-01 21:41:50
Lists: pgsql-cygwin

I'm running postgresql-7.1.2 on a Windows 2000 Advanced Server
box. It's the only applicaiton besides a few simple websites running
on the machine.

Cygwin folks: It does work---I can execute queries against it and
am even using some PG/plSQL stored procedures. But it gets slow,
even with regular vacumming, and more importantly, after a while
literally dozens of "postgresql.exe" processes appear in the
Task Manager, bogging down the system until I have to kill all
the processes and restart the database. This takes about a day
to happen, with less than 100 inserts over the course of eight
hours.

Granted, I have more tuning to do in my database and there may
be other bottlenecks between my application and the system. But
for a production enviroment, do I want to install PostGreSQL
as an NT Service? I have some documentation about doing the
same for the ipc-daemon (but it doesn't seem to work).

Right now, I have two batch files in the Startup folder which
call the IPC daemon, delete any .pid files, and start up the
postmaster. But this leaves windows all over the screen and
I am wondering---maybe other inefficencies?

So my question is two fold. 1) Is moving to NT services a
good idea and 2) Where can I learn more about setting this stuff
up?

Thanks,
Robby Slaughter