RE: Is PostgreSQL as an NT Service the next level?

From: "Robby Slaughter" <webmaster(at)robbyslaughter(dot)com>
To: "Russell Black" <rblack(at)iarchives(dot)com>
Cc: "Pgsql-Cygwin" <pgsql-cygwin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: RE: Is PostgreSQL as an NT Service the next level?
Date: 2001-08-02 17:45:50
Lists: pgsql-cygwin

>As I understand it, there is postgres.exe process per connection. Perhaps
>you could reduce the dozens of of processes by doing some connection
>pooling. I'm using postgresql as the db for a J2EE app on 2000. My J2EE
>platform does connection pooling for me and I never get more than 4
>postgres.exe processes.

I turned on connection pooling in the Data Source control panel for the
PostgreSQL driver. I'll see if that helps.

>Also, what kind of "vacuuming" do you do? Just curious.

About once a day I open up a psql window and type "vacuum;" at the
prompt. Sometimes more often if the performance is slow. It does seem
to help but my performance is still very low.

Thanks,
Robby