Porting to Win2k: ./configure failed

From: "JJAR" <jjarcore(at)eresmas(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-ports(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Porting to Win2k: ./configure failed
Date: 2000-12-29 17:12:11
Lists: pgsql-ports

Hi everyone,

I have followed KevinLo's instructions to port PostgreSQL 7.0.3 to Windows
2000, but when I type "./configure" I have the following command line
outout:

$ ./configure
checking host system type... i686-pc-cygwin
checking echo setting...
checking setting template to... cygwin32
configure: warning: *** Include directory /usr/local/include does not
exist.
checking whether to support locale... disabled
checking whether to support cyrillic recode... disabled
checking whether to support multibyte... disabled
checking setting DEF_PGPORT... 5432
checking setting DEF_MAXBACKENDS... 32
checking setting USE_TCL... disabled
checking setting USE_PERL... disabled
checking setting USE_ODBC... disabled
checking setproctitle... disabled
checking setting ASSERT CHECKING... disabled
checking for gcc... gcc
checking whether the C compiler (gcc -O2 ) works... no
configure: error: installation or configuration problem: C compiler cannot
create executables.

I know:

- "gcc" is there:

$ gcc --version
2.95.2-5

- the directories /usr/local/pgsql/{bin,include,lib,data} are there:

administrador(at)orgsch /usr/local/pgsql
$ ls
bin data include lib

(- and the truth is out there too ;) )

I don't known what's wrong, probably a nonsense but I have been watching
configure files and don't how to fix the problem (haven't worked with this
tool before).

Little help would be appreciated.
Thanks for your time.

Juan José Amezcua Ramón (Juan Jose Amezcua Ramon)
jjarcore(at)eresmas(dot)com