View performance degraded between 8.1 and 8.3

From: Mark Roghelia <mroghelia(at)topsailtech(dot)com>
To: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: View performance degraded between 8.1 and 8.3
Date: 2009-02-10 22:20:36
Lists: pgsql-performance

I've got an application that pulls stock information from the web and
performs a bunch of calculations on them. There is a "stock" table
and then for convenience I've got a view called "stock_calculations".
This view is defined as a stock id column coupled with 30-some
calculated columns. Some of these columns are computationally intense
and are delegated to functions.

If I ever "select * from stock_calculations", the query is
understandable pretty slow, since it has to do every one of the
calculations for each stock. However, in 8.1, if I only selected a
couple of specific columns from the view, it ran very quickly. I
assumed that the database did not bother calculating all the other
columns it didn't need.

Unfortunately, I've recently upgraded to 8.3 and found that selecting
a single column from this view has now become as slow as selecting all
of them.

I'm wondering if there is any thing that I can do about this short of
downgrading to 8.1? Are there any configuration parameters that
effect this behavior?

Thanks,

Mark