Re: [ODBC] Unicode display in VB

From: "Hiroshi Inoue" <Inoue(at)tpf(dot)co(dot)jp>
To: "Jean-Michel POURE" <jm(dot)poure(at)freesurf(dot)fr>, <pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>, <pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [ODBC] Unicode display in VB
Date: 2001-11-10 01:13:30
Lists: pgadmin-hackers pgsql-odbc

IIRC Unicode fundamentally means UCS-2 not UTF-8 under Windows
whereas in PostgreSQL UNICODE means UTF-8 not UCS-2.
Currently psqlodbc driver doesn't provide the functionality for UCS-2
clients to talk to PostgreSQL servers.
We have to implement pretty many SQLxxxxxW API functions and
handle SQL_C_WCHAR type bindings in psqlodbc drvier to provide
the functionality.
If you are in the Japanese environment, you could talk to UTF-8
servers by setting Connect string as SET CLIENT_ENCODING
to 'SJIS' and display Japanese characters but it doesn't seem
your case.

regards,
Hiroshi Inoue